Day Trip to Ayutthaya: What You Need to Know

Published by tavernatravels on

Looking to take a day trip to Ayutthaya from Bangkok? You’ve come to the right place! As much as I love the hustle and bustle of Thailand’s capital, Bangkok, it’s always nice to get a break from the big city. A perfect day trip, even for those with a limited amount of time, is a trip north to Ayutthaya.Β The site was declared a UNESCO Heritage Site in 1991 and offers a series of incredible temples to visit. The temples are also considerably less crowded than many of those in the rest of Thailand.

Day Trip to Ayutthaya: Getting There

The city is easily accessible by train from Bangkok’s Hua Lamphong station with ticket prices dependent on the type of seat and trip length. Tickets can be purchased on the day of, however in this case I recommend buying your return ticket as soon as you arrive in Ayutthaya as tickets do sell out, even in the low season. On our way there we opted for a standing ticket (or non-specified seat) on a hour train, setting us back 20 baht ($0.60). For the way home we purchased a reclining seat as our train would take two hours, and it price only increased to 65 baht ($2).

Taking the train on a day trip to Ayutthaya

Day Trip to Ayutthaya: Getting Around

The most common method of getting around the temples of Ayutthaya is by tuk tuk. The going rate at the train station is 900-1000 baht ($27-30), however you can always bargain. For cheaper rates follow the street perpendicular to the train station, where you can hire a driver for 200 baht ($6)/hour. This price does not include entrance into the temples however. Although it is bit pricey, taking a tuk tuk allowed us to see a lot more than if we had rented bikes. Additionally, you can fit up to four passengers for the same price so bring (or make) some friends along for the journey!

Getting around Ayutthaya by tuk-tuk! Day trip from Bangkok

Day Trip to Ayutthaya: What to See

The tuk tuk drivers will present you with a list of the top temples to visit. The temples all cost 50 baht ($1.50) to enter, with the exception of Wat Yai Chai Mongkon (20 baht) and Wat Lokayasutharam (free).

Wat Yai Chai Mongkhon

Exploring Wat Phra Si Sanphet in Ayutthaya Thailand

Visiting Wat Phra Si Sanphet on a day trip to Ayutthaya

Wat Phra Si Sanphet in Ayutthaya

Wat Lokayasutharam

Wat Lokayasutharam on a day trip to Ayutthaya Thailand

Day Trip to Ayutthaya: Where to Eat

Our tuk tuk driver brought us to the most incredible noodle place, however I unfortunately do not know the name so I have included photos for reference. We had the dry noodles (30 baht/bowl) and they were so good that we had a second round!

day trip to ayutthaya restaurants

day trip to ayutthaya, where to eat

Enjoyed what you read? Why not PIN it for later?

22 Comments

Kareemah Ashiru · October 21, 2017 at 2:28 pm

Awesome post! I have never been to Thailand. Your pictures are stunning and those noodles got me hungry. I don’t know the name either.

Taylor Taverna · October 22, 2017 at 3:08 am

Thanks! I definitely recommend adding Thailand to your bucket list! I’ve been a handful of times now and it’s one of my favorite places in the world!

Aga · October 21, 2017 at 2:50 pm

What a comprehensive guide πŸ™‚ Makes me wanna go!

Taylor Taverna · October 22, 2017 at 3:08 am

I definitely recommend it if you ever get the chance πŸ™‚

Ashlee · October 21, 2017 at 3:05 pm

I’ve never been to Thailand but it’s definitely on my list! Thank you for your guide, the photos are stunning!

Taylor Taverna · October 22, 2017 at 3:08 am

Thanks love! I hope that you make it there one day πŸ™‚

Jewels · October 21, 2017 at 3:07 pm

Your pictures are so captivating and definitely makes me want to visit! I was sad to miss this during my last trip to Bangkok.Thanks for the useful tips!

Taylor Taverna · October 22, 2017 at 3:09 am

Thank you! I think that a lot of people skip it because it is outside of the city, but if you’re ever in Bangkok again I highly recommend making the trip!

Sabrina · October 21, 2017 at 3:40 pm

wow! Some of the best pictures I’ve seen on travel blogs so far. Beautiful! I love the temples and the buddhas, sounds like a good short trip! And I agree investing in a tuk tuk driver for the day, they often know the ins-and-outs of the area πŸ™‚

Taylor Taverna · October 22, 2017 at 3:10 am

Thank you so much! They definitely do! The city is also quite spread out which makes biking quite difficult

Noel · October 21, 2017 at 6:45 pm

Those ceiling fans are the best thing I saw today. Winner ^_^

Jenn - The Solivagant Soul · October 21, 2017 at 9:02 pm

I am so sad that I was never able to visit Ayutthaya last year! I was not in Bangkok and that and Chiang Rai were the two spots I regret not having a couple of extra days to visit. I love that you share your daytrip there!

Taylor Taverna · October 22, 2017 at 3:11 am

I have also not been able to make it to Chiang Rai – but I hope to one day!

amit · October 22, 2017 at 12:03 am

I missed out the chance to visit Ayutthaya when I was in Thailand, I had a friend traveling with me at the time and we were on in Bangkok for a few days. Having read through this post, I wish I had done the trip. There were other occasions and trips we did where we hired a Tuk-Tuk driver for the day too. Once you get to know them a little they can be quite informative.

Taylor Taverna · October 22, 2017 at 3:12 am

Yes, it’s always hard to choose what to do! And Bangkok truly has so much to offer! Hope that you enjoyed your trip πŸ™‚

Kristin @ Camels & Chocolate · October 22, 2017 at 2:16 am

Thailand is the literal definition of "foreign" to me…I’m dying to go there but don’t know the first thing about planning a trip there and feel like I need a solid month to do it right!

Taylor Taverna · October 22, 2017 at 3:13 am

My company is focused on making trips like these seem like "foreign" so if you’re ever interested in trying to plan something – or just getting some ideas – you should definitely fill out an Interest Form on tavernatravels.com

Bianca · October 22, 2017 at 2:59 am

Nice photos!!! Thanks for the info on logistics!! Super helpful! πŸ‘πŸ‘

Restless Heart Blog · October 22, 2017 at 8:44 am

Such a beautiful pictures! The places don’t look crowded at all, that is also very promising πŸ™‚

Lisa · October 22, 2017 at 10:26 am

Wow your photos are amazing! Great post.

Ha · October 22, 2017 at 10:33 am

Impressive photos! I plan to visit Bangkok next year and this seems like a perfect day trip! Thanks for sharing πŸ™‚

Kim Bui · October 26, 2017 at 3:39 pm

LOVE your photos! Been wanting to visit Thailand for a while now, hopefully next year I’ll be able to check it off the list.